So, this weekend is gonna be kinda bittersweet for us. As I’m sure you know, my family and I are pretty geeky when it comes to Marvel. We each have our favorites and get pretty into it. Lol, it’s to the point where even my love life gets wrapped into it haha. I was seeing this one guy over the summer who wasn’t into Marvel let alone movies in general and God, my 12 year old niece was so baffled.
All she could ask over and over was… “Why do you even like him then? What’s so great about him?” And when that ended all they could say was…”Well, he wasn’t even a Marvel fan, so it wouldn’t have worked out anyway.” Ridiculous, right? They take this pretty seriously. So, if you don’t like Marvel…that’s a major red flag for my family.
Anyway, since New Years day, we’ve been watching a movie a week in order of release date which leads up to the final week being the day that Infinity War drops. It’s been a pretty fun bonding experience for us. Some of our friends have even joined in. So, if you’ve been watching with us…or want to one last time, come over this weekend! We’re playing catch up with two (Homecoming and Ragnarok) and ending with Black Panther this Sunday. We’re pretty bummed that this weekend is the last we’ll have in the living room, but it’s been really fun.
So, in light of IW being released next week…here are some of my predictions/hopes. If you haven’t been following the MCU, every movie has pretty much lead up to this one… ending their “first phase.”
1. A lot of them will die. This is kind of a given. My predictions are Cap (I am going to have a melt down when he does!), Hawkeye, Vision, and Thor…and possibly one of the Guardians (noooo!).
2. Bucky will become the new Captain America. This is so sad for me…and if anything I wish Falcon would take over…but if they follow the comics, it’ll be Buck. God, I am gonna be so devastated when this happens. Cap is my first love.
3. This one is more of a hope, but God, please let it happen. Loki HAS to die a hero. I know he’s such a villain but I can’t accept that he stays on the dark side after everything. He has to redeem himself. If I had it my way, he would die protecting his brother. I will be pretty bummed if Loki dies evil.
4. If Tony Stark dies (honestly, it’ll be sad, but he’s an acceptable loss for me lol. I can’t stand him), Dr. Strange will be Peter Parkers new mentor.
(Funny story…I finally saw Dr. Strange for the first time a few weeks ago after one huge failed attempt when the movie first came out. I thought I would hate it based on the fact that I was super bored and left the first time I saw it…but seriously, I’m glad I gave it a chance. The way they emphasize the idea of life being just a blimp in time…it’s pretty deep. Definitely liked it more than I thought I would).
5. This one isn’t an Infinity War prediction, but a Spiderman one. Ugh, this makes me sad and it’s probably not going to happen for another few years, but Peter’s going to die young. If they follow a certain story line in the comics, Miles Morales will take over. If you’ve seen Homecoming, Miles is the nephew of Donald Glover’s character. He wasn’t seen but mentioned. Why would Childish Gambino even be in it if they weren’t following that storyline? Sigh, if and when this happens, I don’t know what I’ll do.
So, those are it for now. I’m pretty sure a lot of these won’t happen until the second one which comes out next year…but brace yourselves people! A lot of them are going to die and my family and I are going to be complete messes.
Anyway, with our marathon coming to an end…I guess I have to say thanks, Marvel. I’ve had some pretty shitty moments this year, but that one night a week I got to spend with my family always gave me that much needed happiness. And for those who make fun of our obsession…it’s more than just comics to us. It brings people together. Just look at Black Panther. They broke millions of records and really became this light for underrepresented people. Lol, you can even say that the hand gesture for Wakanda has become a sign for resistance.
That’s what’s so great about movies. It really brings people together. As shitty as the world can be, Marvel really brought us into this universe to escape the stresses of life, even if it’s just for a few hours. So again, thanks Marvel!
ONE MORE WEEK UNTIL INFINITY WAR, PEOPLE! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!